Saturday 4 February 2017

Stroud Half Marathon

So back in Stroud for the 35th running of the first half marathon I ever ran back in 1990 and the first time for me since 2001.

The weekend begins with a warm-up parkrun in Stonehouse (see blog entry) on the Saturday morning followed by a relaxing day with parents and kids.

Sunday morning arrives and I set off on the very familiar walk to the start. The race starts from outside my childhood school Marling, Wii have supported it since the start and offered up their changing rooms for the runners.

The start has moved down the road from the last time I ran it and my pre arranged plan to meet my parents after the run would not really work so I had to call on the generosity of one of the marshals who kindly let me use her phone to make new arrangements (marshals are unquestionably awesome) and then finally to the start line.

As usual the finish time pens are largely ignored by a number of runners and I found myself stood near people who were discussing finishing times between 85 minutes and over two hours. I never understand the thinking behind this, being alongside runners demonstrably better than you will either demoralised you or tempt you into a faster start than you can handle (and then demoralised you) but there you go.

The start was well organised with the runners being walked to the line and then set off in the direction of Ebley.

I had been advised to stick to seven minute miles for at least the first three and largely stayed with this as we pass through Stonehouse and up towards Standish. The joy of running in the countryside with clean air combined with some very friendly and chatty other runners was making me feel very good about the run and I was feeling strong too.

The next to I had been given was the long steady climb at about half way. This also coincides with a section along the dual carriageway for a double whammy but still feeling good I was able to dig in with powerful arms until the left turn at the pub signaled the section I had been warned about was over already and I was still on 90 minute pace.

Back on the country roads for a section that seemed to be entirely down hill I was able to conserve energy and have a nice chat with a local man who had run all 35 which all made this section (in my opinion the most enjoyable part of the route) pass, if anything, too quickly.

Heading back into Stonehouse and a section that is new to me, a slightly uninspiring loop around an industrial estate which smacks of 'added to make up the distance' and also includes the section all race planners seem keen to include where you get to pass runners who are a mile or so ahead of you.

Into the closing couple of miles and, while still on pace, I'm finally beginning to feel the strain. I'm aware that so far I've not been passed by a single runner all race which forces me on for nearly a mile with the sound of someone just behind me, but at 12 1/2 miles I have to concede, not to the man of been hearing but a new runner who was unreasonably fresh and glided past like he wasn't even trying.

12-13 back through Ebley was tough, really tough. The last mile marker seemed destined never to arrive but eventually there was the cainscross roundabout with mile marker and the straight section to the finish in sight. Off the roundabout and I got my first sight of the clock at around 89 minutes. I really wanted to push on but couldn't find my legs until the familiar voice off my parents' neighbour cheering me on gave me the boost I needed (I still don't understand how people cheering you on helps so much but it really does) and I was able to duck under the finishing gantry at 89:58 - mission accomplished.

A great run, great memories and a very unique finishing medal, back next year? Reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment